Digital History: Civil War Fredericksburg

Week 10

March 22nd, 2010 by Megan Mc · 4 Comments

I’m doing my blog a little early this week. This weekend I was busy with rugby I drove up to Philly Friday night. I had little access to my computer but I did manage to check my e-mail and see what was going on. Taylor had been messing around with Omeka trying to make it look better and Katelyn had been working on the timeline. I was happy to see that Patrick (?) helped us with our timeline so everything is not stacked up on top of each other and the timespans actually have lines. Answering the e-mails was all I really could do because then we had our game (We lost :() but then got authentic Philly Cheesesteak, yum. I did not get back to Fredericksburg until 2:30am Saturday night/Sunday morning. Sunday I had work at the Nest until 9pm then I went to the library for a couple of hours. I have been assigned to write the background info on the Sanitary Commission and got several books from the library to help out, it needs to be done before the end of the week, I’m aiming for being done by Thursday, class time.

A little side note that relates to the Mary Washington group the ref for our rugby game came over and introduced herself and asked, “Are you guys University of Martha Washington?” When we corrected her she replied with, “Who is Mary Washington?”

READING

We haven’t had reading in awhile and I almost forgot about to add it to my blog, ha. I have to say the most interesting reading of the week was the Googling Victorians, partly because when the author mentioned Lytton Strachey I had an a-ha! moment thanks to the Great Lives class. He was a biographer in Victorian England who changed the whole style of biographies from huge thick volumes of information to more succinct, compelling, and interesting biographies. I sort of disagreed with the author about googling. I use it for getting started on research to locate books on a subject and from those books I find others but I don’t think I would rely on google all that much, I suppose my high school teachers made me scared to use google for too much.

Tags: Uncategorized

4 responses so far ↓

• klease // Mar 23rd 2010 at 7:45 am

The comment about the University of Martha Washington is hilarious. I’m also trying to work on my written interpretation. I’m aiming to be done by Thursday, but it might be Friday afternoon. I agree with you on the fear of using google. We must have had that pounded in our heads a little too much!

• sleffert // Mar 23rd 2010 at 9:56 am

hahaha megan, that’s an awesome comment from the ref. Also jealous that you got a really philly cheesesteak! I agree about using google as a means to start research but i also am hesitant to use it very much for gathering the bulk of my data.

• b4ssm4st3r // Mar 23rd 2010 at 10:02 am

Wow, but I guess it once again shows that not many people know about her.

• sunchild // Mar 29th 2010 at 7:35 pm

Is it weird that I have never had a philly cheesesteak?